What is an Ethical Hacker?
To beat a hacker, you need to think like one!
Ethical Hacking is often referred to as the process of penetrating one’s own computer/s or computers to which one has official permission to do so as to determine if vulnerabilities exist and to undertake preventive, corrective, and protective countermeasures before an actual compromise to the system takes place.
Around the world, partners and customers look to EC-Council to deliver the highest quality exams and certifications. EC-Council has developed a number of policies to support the goals of EC-Council certification program, including:
Become a Certified Ethical Hacker
A Certified Ethical Hacker is a skilled professional who understands and knows how to look for weaknesses and vulnerabilities in target systems and uses the same knowledge and tools as a malicious hacker, but in a lawful and legitimate manner to assess the security posture of a target system(s). The CEH credential certifies individuals in the specific network security discipline of Ethical Hacking from a vendor-neutral perspective.
The purpose of the CEH credential is to:
- Establish and govern minimum standards for credentialing professional information security specialists in ethical hacking measures.
- Inform the public that credentialed individuals meet or exceed the minimum standards.
- Reinforce ethical hacking as a unique and self-regulating profession.
Certification Target Audience
The Certified Ethical Hacker certification will fortify the application knowledge of security officers, auditors, security professionals, site administrators, and anyone who is concerned about the integrity of the network infrastructure.
For more information on CEH application process, please click here
The CEH exam (312-50) is available at the ECC Exam Centre and Pearson Vue testing centers.
For VUE, please visit https://www.vue.com/eccouncil. EC-Council reserves the right to revoke the certification status of candidates that do not comply to all EC-Council examination policies found here.
CEH Exam Details
|CEH Exam Details|
In order to maintain the high integrity of our certifications exams, EC-Council Exams are provided in multiple forms (I.e. different question banks). Each form is carefully analyzed through beta testing with an appropriate sample group under the purview of a committee of subject matter experts that ensure that each of our exams not only have academic rigor but also have "real world" applicability. We also have a process to determine the difficulty rating of each question . The individual rating then contributes to an overall "Cut Score" for each exam form. To ensure each form has equal assessment standards, cut scores are set on a "per exam form" basis. Depending on which exam form is challenged, cut scores can range from 60% to 85%.
Clause: Age Requirements and Policies Concerning Minors
The age requirement for attending the training or the exam is restricted to any candidate that is permitted by his/her country of origin/residency.
If the candidate is under the legal age as permitted by his/her country of origin/residency, they are not eligible to attend the official training or eligible to attempt the certification exam unless they provide the accredited training center/EC-Council a written consent/indemnity of their parent/legal guardian and a supporting letter from their institution of higher learning. Only candidates from a nationally accredited institution of higher learning shall be considered.
Disclaimer: EC-Council reserves the right to impose additional restriction to comply with the policy. Failure to act in accordance with this clause shall render the authorized training center in violation of their agreement with EC-Council. EC-Council reserves the right to revoke the certification of any person in breach of this requirement.
To be eligible to apply to sit for the CEH (ANSI) Exam, a candidate must either:
- Hold a CEH certification of version 1 to 7, * (Prior to being ANSI accredited, EC-Council’s certifications were named, based on versions – CEHV1, CEHV2 etc. During that time, candidates that attempted the certification exams were vetted for eligibility. In order to avoid “being double bill”, the EC-Council Certification department shall issue a waiver of the application fee of any candidate that has a CEH V1- CEH V7 certification and wishes to attempt the CEH ANSI certification.)
- or Have a minimum of 2 years work experience in InfoSec domain (You will need to pay USD100 as a non-refundable application fee);
- Or Have attended an official EC-Council training (All candidates are required to pay the $100 application fee, however your training fee shall include this fee)
- As various consumer laws across the world to prohibit any type of "price fixing", EC-Council Certification department is unable to prescribe minimum pricing for its exams. This allows a free market approach which benefits our certification community.
- As the price of an exam vouchers is many times bundled with official training by our accredited partners, the price may vary depending on the region, training facilities, training partner, the trainers experience, cost of proctoring the exam and even the mode of training of the partner.
- It is imperative that we make it clear that no student shall be deemed to have any added advantage whatsoever from one mode of training to another in order to challenge the CEH ANSI exam as the exam is a standard exam for everyone, regardless of the method of training.
- Should any training partner attempt to tell you otherwise, we ask that you lodge an official complaint with the EC-Council certification department so that the necessary action can be taken against the training partner..
- On an average, application processing time would be between 5-10 working days once the verifiers on the application respond to EC-Council’s requests for information.
- No, the $100 application fee is not refundable
- The application process is valid for 3 months from the date of approval.
- Yes, the application form is mandatory for all test takers who want to take the exam directly without undergoing training.
Note: For those who are attending official training, details will be collected as part of your training through the training evaluation feedback form.
- Once your application is approved you can proceed to purchase your exam voucher either from EC-Council Online Store or from one of our authorised training channels.
- The CEH (ANSI) exam is an MCQ (Multiple Choice Question) exam. This exam is only available at the ECC Exam Centre.
- No, it's not an open book exam.
- The exam voucher code is valid for 1 year from the date of receipt.
- For those attempting the exam at a physical testing centre (ETC/ Pearson Vue), the exam will be proctored by a proctor authorised at the testing centre.
- For those attempting the exam remotely (ECC/ ProctorU), The exam will be proctored remotely by an authorised proctor.
- The Exam is a 4 hour session.
- In order to maintain the high integrity of our certifications exams, EC-Council Exams are provided in multiple forms (I.e. different question banks). Each form is carefully analyzed through beta testing with an appropriate sample group under the purview of a committee of subject matter experts that ensure that each of our exams not only have academic rigor but also have "real world" applicability. We also have a process to determine the difficulty rating of each question . The individual rating then contributes to an overall "Cut Score" for each exam form. To ensure each form has equal assessment standards, cut scores are set on a "per exam form" basis. Depending on which exam form is challenged, cut scores can range from 60% to 85%.
- Sessions should be booked at least 3 days in advance of the desired exam date.
- Note: All exam sessions are proctored by EC-Council Certification department.
Once you are ready to proceed with your exam, please ensure you understand the below:
- You need to run an equipment test.
- You need to carry an identification proof.
- You should hold an valid exam voucher.
- Yes, the CEH (ANSI) is a part of the EC-Council Continuing Education Scheme.